What is the purpose of this document?
James Coles & Sons (Nurseries) Limited is a “data controller”. This means that we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use personal information about you. We are required under data protection legislation to notify you of the information contained in this privacy notice.
This notice applies to our individual customers and suppliers, our corporate customer and supplier contacts, and other individuals whose personal contact details we process in the course of our business. It makes you aware of how and why your personal data will be used. This notice does not form part of any contract and we may update this notice at any time.
Data protection principles
We will comply with data protection law and principles, which means that your data will be:
- Used lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way.
- Collected only for valid purposes that we have clearly explained to you and not used in any way that is incompatible with those purposes.
- Relevant to the purposes we have told you about and limited only to those purposes.
- Accurate and kept up to date.
- Kept only as long as necessary for the purposes we have told you about.
- Kept securely.
The kind of information we hold about you
Where you are an individual customer or supplier, we may collect, store, and use your personal contact details such as name, title, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses together with any payment details you have provided to take payment from you or make payment to you.
Where you are customer or supplier contact, we may collect, store, and use your personal contact details such as name, title, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses.
How is your personal information collected?
We collect personal information about you during the course of business, either directly from you or where applicable, your employer/colleagues or from other business associates. We may also collect your personal information if you are an individual and you sign up to the Coles Garden Club.
How we will use information about you
In the course of business, we may need to use your personal information to contact you and/or to facilitate our business relationship with your employer. It is in our legitimate interests to use your details in this way in the course of business. Where you are an individual customer or supplier, we will use your details to perform the contract between you and us and for marketing purposes.
Why might you share my personal information with third parties?
Where you are one of our suppliers and are not a corporate body, we may be required to share information about you with HM Revenue & Customs.
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal information to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal information on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected data security breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected breach where we are legally required to do so.
How long will you use my information for?
We will only retain your personal information for 7 years after ceasing to have a business relationship with you or your employer (where applicable).
Rights of access, correction, erasure, and restriction
Informing us of changes
It is important that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your personal information changes during your working relationship with us.
Your rights in connection with personal information
Under certain circumstances, by law you have the right to:
- Request access to your personal information (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal information that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
- Request erasure of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal information where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
- Object to processing of your personal information where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal information about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
- Request the transfer of your personal information to another party.
If you want to review, verify, correct or request erasure of your personal information, object to the processing of your personal data, or request that we transfer a copy of your personal information to another party, please contact us at email@example.com. We do not have to comply with your request but we would explain why if we believe we are entitled to refuse.
Right to withdraw consent
In the limited circumstances where you may have provided your consent to the collection, processing and transfer of your personal information for a specific purpose, you have the right to withdraw your consent for that specific processing at any time. To withdraw your consent, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Once we have received notification that you have withdrawn your consent, we will no longer process your information for the purpose or purposes you originally agreed to, unless we have another legitimate basis for doing so in law.
Questions about this Privacy Notice
If you have any questions about this privacy notice or how we handle your personal information, please contact us at email@example.com. You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner’s Office, the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues.
Changes to this privacy notice
We reserve the right to update this privacy notice at any time, and we will provide you with a new privacy notice when we make any substantial updates. We may also notify you in other ways from time to time about the processing of your personal information.